Link to original document: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-22-75A1.pdf
• The FCC’s latest Report and Order on EAS was issued in September 2022 and published in the Federal Register
on November 10th, 2022. The FCC is giving the industry 1-year to comply with the following requirements, and
the clock started ticking from then.
• Triggered CAP Polling: The FCC requires EAS Participants to prioritize CAP messaging by checking for a CAP
message whenever they receive a conventional EAS message.
• EAN (Presidential) message changes: The FCC has changed the text for the EAN event code and the ORG code
when used with EAN. The new EAN text required by the FCC for an EAN will be "The United States Government
has issued a National Emergency Message for the following areas ..."
• NPT (National Periodic Test) changes: The FCC is changing the NPT message. For national NPT messages via
EAS, the following scripted text must be issued: “This is a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System, issued
by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, covering the United States from [time] until [time]. This is only a
test. No action is required by the public." Regional NPT tests and any NPT received via CAP will be processed as
• NIC code removal: The National Information Center (NIC) event code will be removed.
How this impacts our customers:
• Prioritized CAP has been included in DASDECs and One-Nets as Triggered CAP Polling™ introduced in our version
4.0 release of 2018. However, customers using software versions 4.0 through 5.0 should ensure their Triggered
CAP Polling window values meet the FCC requirement of no less than 10 seconds.
(Current range is 5 -120 seconds)
• In the first quarter of 2023, we will be issuing a software update that will include the following compliance
changes to meet the FCC’s requirements:
• Triggered CAP Polling will default ON, with a Global Window value of 10-seconds.
• RWT will be added to the Triggered CAP Polling exceptions list.
• The text for the EAN event code will be updated to (“National Emergency Message”)
• The text for the PEP ORG code will be updated to “United States Government.”
• The required scripted message will be issued for national NPT tests (i.e., those test messages received via
conventional EAS) that have the NPT event code and the 000000 all-US FIPS code.
• The NIC event code will be removed.
• This software update will be provided at no cost to users currently running v5.x software or valid members of our
Software Assurance Plan.